«« Return to general grammar resources
What's a conjunction? A conjunction is a joining word that you can use to join two sentences into one longer sentence.
E.g. Ich habe einen Bruder und er ist 14 Jahre alt.
The following five conjunctions don't change the word order of the sentence they are 'joining to': und, oder (or), aber (but), denn (for/because), sondern (but [used when the first part of the sentence has a negative in it, such as nicht/kein/selten/nie etc]).
The other conjunctions (other than those five) are known as subordinating conjunctions; in the sentence part that follows them, they "bully" the verb to the end of that part of the sentence. Some of these conjunctions that you'll bump into a lot are: dass (that...), wenn (if...), weil (because...), obwohl (although...) etc.
E.g. Der Sportlehrer sagt, dass ich Fußball gut spiele. (dass has "bullied" spiele to the end of that part of the sentence.)
In written German the subordinating conjunctions ("bullies") always have a comma before them.
All the question words (e.g. wann, was, wer, wie, wo, warum) can be used as subordinating conjunctions. As conjunctions they "bully" the verb too.
E.g. Ich habe keine Idee, was er heute mit Stefan macht.
Handout: list of conjunctions with example sentences and practice ( PDF, 143Kb)
- Conjunctions - "bullies" and "non-bullies" (i.e. und, aber, oder, sondern, denn) - verb position: which sentence has the correct word order?
- Conjunctions - interactive exercise, unjumble the sentences and put the words into the correct order (dass, ob, weil)
- Conjunctions - interactive exercise, pick the right conjunction for each sentence (als, wenn, wann)
- Conjunctions - interactive exercise, pick the right conjunction for each sentence (dass, weil, wenn, wann, bevor, obwohl)
- Conjunctions - interactive exercise, pick the right conjunction for the sentence (advanced)
- »Wie sollte ein Austauschschüler sein?« - interactive exercise, pick the right conjunction for the sentence
- als, wenn, wann, oder ob? - practice exercise (Mercer University, USA)
- Die Berliner Mauer - intro text, pick the right conjunctions
Compiled by D Nutting